Monday, March 8, 2010

A Lie of the Mind

Performance Date: 02.27.10
Acorn Theatre, Theatre Row



Speed-blogging Post #4: A Lie of the Mind

A pawn shop rabbit warren of wooden furniture.

Ghostly lit figures performing eerily beautiful Americana music and live sound cues.

A suite of memorable performances, both varied and uniformly strong.

Another way of saying that: each actor brought his or her uniqueness to the plate, and swung hard.

Painful and uncomfortable, as all Shepard plays are, and performed by feeling actors – yet not a tear in my eye.  Makes me think that when I cry at movies, theater, or TV, it has less to do with substance and more to do with form.  The right chord progression in a bad musical will choke me up, but excellent performances of Shepard’s strangely detached characters bring no tears, though they may move me more.

Makes me appreciate director Ethan Hawke.

No comments:

Post a Comment